Want to crack the CAT Exam? Don’t know where to start from? Worry not, we’ve got you! This article will provide details about CAT Eligibility Criteria and help pave your way into the MBA world.
CAT eligibility has remained the same in the past years, which can be expected this year too. Before registering, the candidate must know the eligibility to avoid complications while appearing for the exam. Go through the details mentioned below and keep track of the upcoming information to excel.
CAT 2022 Eligibility: Highlights
CAT is conducted by one of the top IIM every year. The eligibility criteria keep changing, and thus aspirants need to keep themselves updated. Some CAT 2022 Eligibility highlights are discussed below:
|Name of Exam||CAT|
|Conducting Body||Indian Institute of Management|
|Examination Frequency||Once every year|
|Mode of Application Process||Online|
|Application fee||INR 2200|
|Eligibility||Bachelors in any field with a minimum of 50% marks (45% for reserved categories)|
|Exam Duration||2 Hours|
|Total Number of Questions||66 questions|
|Medium of Question Paper||English (CBT Mode)|
|Available Institutions||20 IIMs and Other CAT 2022 scores Accepting Institutes|
|Courses Offered||PGDM/MBA in various specialisations|
|CAT 2022 Helplineemail@example.com 1800-2090-830|
- Work experience is not mandatory before applying for the exam. However, candidates with work experience will have an advantage over a fresher candidate during the selection process for IIms.
- The minimum percentage criteria will not be considered for the upcoming exam in case of exceptions (stated below).
- Candidates with backlogs in their graduation are also eligible to apply for CAT 2022.
The CAT Eligibility Criteria specifies no upper age limit to appear for the exam. Candidates who wish to apply for the CAT exam must check all the eligibility details as there are no limitations on age for the exam. Check the below table for the max age limit.
|CAT Age Limit Criteria||Details|
|Upper Age Limit||Not Applicable|
|Lower Age Limit||Not Applicable|
CAT Exam Pattern
Here is the description of the CAT exam pattern. The pattern has changed, and candidates must track these changes to attain a higher rank in the exam.
|Mode of Examination||Online|
|Total Duration||120 minutes|
|Type of Questions||MCQs and TITA-type questions|
|No. Of MCQs||75%|
|No. of TITA Questions||25%|
|Sectional Duration||40 minutes|
|No. of Questions||66|
|Section-wise Distribution of Questions||
|Marks for Correct Answer||3|
|Negative Marking||-1 for every wrong answer; No Negative Marks for TITA-type Questions|
CAT 2022 Reservation Criteria
IIM follows the reservation rules as per the rules stated by the Central Government. The reservation policy for MBA admissions of different categories is given below:
|Schedule Cast (SC)||15%|
|Schedule Tribe (ST)||7.5%|
|Other Backward Classes (NC-OBC)||27%|
|PWD(Persons with Disability)||3%|
Candidates must keep the reservation criteria in the notice as this information can help them get admission to their desired university. Even they get an idea of how much hard work to put in according to their reserved seats.
CAT Eligibility Criteria: Educational Qualification
The academic qualifications and the number of marks to be secured are stated below. Candidates need to fulfil the given eligibility to be able to appear for the exam.
|Bachelor’s Degree from any Institute||Recognized by UGC||50% aggregate marks (45% for SC/ ST/ PwD)|
|Engineering Degree – B.Tech/ B.E.||Recognized by MHRD/ AICTE||50% marks (45% for SC/ ST/ PwD)|
|Final year students of graduation||Recognized by MHRD/ AICTE/ UGC||50% aggregate marks (45% for SC/ ST/ PwD)|
Some eligible degrees to appear in the CAT exam are given below. Follow the details below to check your eligibility to appear in the exam.
|Engineering Degree – B. Tech/ B.E.||MHRD/ UPSC/AICTE Approved||
50% (45% for reserved candidates)
|Bachelor’s Degree from any University||UGC Approved|
|Students pursuing the final year of their Bachelor’s degree can also take the examination.||MHRD/ UPSC/AICTE or UGC Approved|
|CA/CS/ICWA/Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries of India (FIAI)||MHRD/ UPSC/AICTE Approved|
- Each University or Institute follows its pattern to assign marks. Therefore the percentage calculation is based on that.
- If the university has no method to convert marks/ CGPA to percentages, it is done through direct conversion. The candidate should divide the achieved CGPA by the highest CGPA possible and multiply the result by 100.
- If grades or CGPA are allotted instead of marks, the conversion method provided by the university has to be used to convert the marks to percentages.
Who is ineligible for CAT 2022?
- A candidate who didn’t appear for a Bachelor’s Degree and failed to meet any of the required qualifications.
- AICTE / UGC / MHRD does not approve the applicant’s Institution.
- If the candidate’s marks are less than the prescribed eligibility for graduation.
- If a candidate has completed any professional course but not a bachelor’s.
CAT eligibility criteria are not a guarantee of admission to any prestigious B-schools. The final admission is based on various parameters such as your CAT score, profile, performance in admission rounds (GD/WAT/PI), etc. Candidates need to be familiar with the above information to provide the relevant details while applying for the CAT 2022 exam. In case of any misinformation, your application is liable to be cancelled by the authorities without notice.